page 50

Anton wanted to know or catch
grandpa with the question:
"Which came first, the chicken or the egg?"
"The egg" grandfather said smilingly.
"But what about the chicken
that laid the first egg?"
Grandpa was a resourceful character:
"What if it was not a chicken that laid
the egg, but for example ... a fish."
Anton again: "Then ... what was first,
the chicken or the chicken egg?"
"Look Anton, let's say ...
the fishchicken lays an egg ...
hatching a chickenfish."



All the time Paul tried to hide his
embarrassment, but then he could no
longer restrain himself. "I know there's
the fishmonger annex poulterer 'The Chish'
I always use the opposite sidewalk because
the smell of herring and grilled chicken
don't mix well. In my nose, that is."
"Because I had no idea of the branch on the
evolutionary tree that precedes the chicken,
I only took the fish I already had by the tail."
Paul annoyed: "Grandpa has gotta have the
last word again" "No, you." Still smiling.