page 99

"Mom, can I have the car again? I'm moving.
For the time being I'm going to live with Manon
in the Ooij polder." "What? You broke up with
André? And everything was hunky dory?" "Not
anymore. We partied the whole night at Manon's
with a bunch of people. Andre got bored and
had already gone home. Guess with whom I
found him this morning in my bed? That Belgian
girl friend of Henk Samrink!" Ien had called
Lili and luckily they had been so considerate
to be absent when she came to collect her
belongings. "They can keep that tarnished bed."
Before she left she wrote a quick note and put
it on the bed. It just said: Drop dead ... i.



Henk played really loud a couple of times
Hazes': Zeg maar niets meer, ik ga wel weg
als je dat wilt (Say no more, I'll leave if that's
what you want). That was a relief. Until he
realized that Hazes first name was... André.
(The original song by Lesley Gore: You don't
owe me. I'm not just one of your many toys.)
Marie once called. "In about three weeks in
Brussels? Why I no longer wanna take part?
Carmenita again has a new lover." Distraction,
he found in the travels with Ien and Manon.
To Delft (Delphi), Dishoek (Hades), Vlissingen,
Biggekerke, Borssele, not to mention St. Joosland,
for that was Ios, the island of Homer. The theory
became increasingly likely to him. In particular,
the argument that the Iliad landscape, the rivers
and large-scale horse breeding was difficult to
reconcile with the rocky Greece and Turkey.
"But how did they get all their horses across
to England?" Henk wanted to know.