page 91


Ben Borgart

There are moments a man could give himself
a smack in the face. "Crazy ..." All things
considered Ien should be happy that she had
fallen through the ice only to her waist. There
in the Ooij polder. On the levee of the river
'Waal' stood a girl with a racing bike. Like
Cuzzi in Ben Borgart's 'de Vuinisroos', Ien
faced a girl, barely outgrown the child-stage.
But fortunately her hair didn't flutter as
'doubtful proof of seriousness and authenticity.'
But she happened to be dressed in an orange
track suit. "Fell through the ice" Ien said
to explain the situation somewhat.



"Here, put on my track pants" "Too small"
Ien said. "I don't think so, Is very stretchy
stuff, you see." Crazy ... your name isn't
Ellie Jurriaans, by chance?" "No, Manon ...
why?" "Oh never mind." "Just take it, I'm
wearing bike shorts underneath. If you want,
we can dry your stuff at my place. I live over
there, on the grounds of an old brick factory.
See yonder chimney?" "Alright, would you get
my shoes? There under the carrier straps.
My bike is against a tree, one turn back in
that direction. A light-blue bike and suede
shoes. Wait, the key is in the wet skirt."