page 97



What to bring as a gift to a maternity visit?
Henk thought of a book by Knut Hamsun.
To read to the twins when they're a bit older.
For instance the ghost story from 'Tales of
Love and Loss' about a boy who finds a tooth
at the cemetery. Eventually he found Carmenita's
idea better. Two tiny swim briefs. Although ...
But Norma loved it. "Theo ... look Leo ... "
Paul explaining their names: "I had, without
saying, chosen for 'Theo', but I gave Norma
the first choice and when she said 'Leo'
I didn't wanna alter the name I picked."



Paul had quit the study and found a job as
novice copywriter for an advertising agency.
"First they asked me for examples of good
commercials and had I expected that question.
I said: The Oedipus spots. The one for Calvé
peanut butter: 'leave some for our Willem'.
And for Bros chocolate bar: 'Dad, will you
marry me?' Or things that just get stuck in
your head like 'Fruitella' song to a tune of
Right Said Fred. A bad one: Aphtha, take
Pyralfex. Although, simply the fact that
I remember it ... right?" To a commercial
for Heinz ketchup, Paul came up with a
idea that was actually used. "You know,
Henk, how the English pronunciation of
Mark Antonisse sometimes caused hilarity?
How would it sound when he said 'Queen of
the south'? 'Queen of the sauce'... right?"